Wednesday, December 21, 2011

In honor of the First Happiness Ninja..

I sometimes feel I didn't have a normal childhood. I worked a lot. I didn't go to school. I lived in a packed house.. with just one bathroom. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 22..
But one day, I learned that surviving childhood trumps any amount of normal one could ask for.
There's a recipe at the end of this lesson.. so if you can bear with me for a few paragraphs, you'll be rewarded ;) Otherwise... scroll on down!
I was 13 or so. Word had gotten around the community that I was not only fantastic with kids, but I do dishes.
Lila was 7. So sweet. So fun to just hang out with that I often forgot I was her babysitter. She seemed so little sister-ish.. She had long blond hair that I was jealous of.. but all she ever wanted to do was to brush and braid (rip out) my own ashy locks. Her parents liked me because I made her feel just like everyone else.The only thing I realized was different about her was that she was so kind and loving.
Hard to come by, really..
So when her parents asked me to watch her so they could go on a real date.. their first since she'd gotten sick.. I of course agreed. I told Lila that I just wanted to hang out and have a movie night.. so could she ask her parents if I could come over?
I didn't feel bad about misleading her.. because really, I did just want to hang out with her. I loved painting her tiny toenails and putting on fashion shows in her livingroom. The hallway was a catwalk. The remote control was a microphone. She was a star..
Just before bed, we put in a movie. Sweet Lila looked sad. She asked if I could help her.. her eye was very itchy and needed to be washed.
I followed her to the bathroom, where I anticipated eyedrops and a warm washcloth.
She asked for a dixie cup. As I turned around with it in hand, she held out her tiny hand and dropped something in it.
Her eye.
We filled the cup with the cleaning solution the doctor had given her.
My oblivious 13 year old mind started putting it all together.
Lila had a brain tumor.
Her long blond hair was a wig, donated by Locks Of Love. Her eye, a prosthetic.
We can skip ahead 4 years at this point. Lila's tumor had come back, and was successfully treated.. but the harsh treatment had cost her all of her own freshly grown hair yet again.
She didn't qualify for a new wig because she's so recently had one. Donations were hard to come by, it seems. More and more girls were paying for real hair extensions.. so instead of donating, women were selling their hair. The organization was suffering greatly.
Lila was now a young lady. At the age where you start feeling bitter and frustrated with your body and your parents.. where you decide if you'll be a positive person who perseveres, or someone who throws in the towel when life has truly gotten the best of you.
She smiled sweetly as I helped her pick a new scarf to cover her beautiful bald head.
I went home that day. SchMom asked why I was so down. I never did tell her.
What I DID do.. was reach back and braid 27 inches of ashy blond hair. What I DID do, was hand her the scissors. What I did do, was drop that long braid to the ground, in honor of the first Happiness Ninja. 


Lila changes my life every time her sweet face enters my mind. She changes my life every time my mind wanders to what I'll never have. She changes my life every time I realize my hair has grown past the middle of my back, and that it's time to make a new donation.
Once a year, I perform my ritual of 100 things. Removing 100 things from my life that could benefit someone else, and donating them. 100 things that have served their purpose in my life, and now must move on to their next mission.
Every one of those 100 things makes me wish I was a brave as Lila. 
So here's to you, sweet girl. 100 things. And this story, is thing #1. It no longer lives in my head, but in the hearts of anyone who reads this.

I promised you a recipe, so here it is. While you go about your home cleaning your life, go ahead and detox your belly ;)
2 Detox smoothies for your tummy's enjoyment =) =) 

Healing Detox Juice

Subtly sweet and absolutely loaded with antioxidants.. and super easy =) =)
Ingredients:
3-4 Carrots
2 or 3 handfuls Fresh Spinach
Handful of Flat Leaf Parsley
2-3 Sticks of Celery
Juice all ingredients (putting celery through last). Mix with water to taste or drink neat (your preference).
I like adding some tabasco and some crushed red pepper.. but I'm just spicy like that ;)
See? Easy =)
Want another one? Okeydokey... How about. Hm.

Super basic Greeeeeeen smoothie

2 cups filtered water
2 bananas
2 peeled oranges (try to keep seeds out)
1 apple (leave the skin on.. mmmmm <3 )
1 lemon
1/2 inch chunk fresh ginger *you can leave the somewhat tough skin on this guy for tons of extra vitamins
½ - 1 head of romaine, spinach, chard, beet greens, or kale



Throw your water in the blender and fill it half way with chopped fruit.. the rest of the way with whatever leafy deliciousness you've chosen. If your blender isn't super powerful, you might prefer adding things slowly while you blend, to keep your motor from smelling like burning plastic. Not that I mind the smell of burning plastic.. but.. well. I kind of do....
Blend for a minute or two until very smooth.
Nummmmm =) =) =) 

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog! Love this valuable info and great reading. You Rock Happiness Ninja!!

    NTM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you enjoy it, NTM =)
    I feel very lucky to have your support! Thank you so much <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is she today? I love getting rid of things, I live in a really small space, but I like that your so purposeful about it, more a cleansing. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last time I saw her she was a happy, healthy young woman heading off to college =)
    It's something she will always have to be aware of and constantly testing for, but as far as I'm aware, no recurrences for several years!!
    Thank you so much for following up Melissa! And I hope your New Year was incredible =) =)

    ReplyDelete