Monday, November 14, 2011

Creamy Chicken Curry. *Would a Gravied Ghost Glob by any other name still taste as.... savory?

When I was little, my Mother *for purpose of this post, let's call her... ShMom*  would give our dinner interesting names.
Sometimes, it was a ridiculous name.
Ground beef left in chunks with onions, garlic, and gravy is served over mashed potatoes with brussel sprouts to create a masterpiece; Gravied Ghost Globs with Moldy Eyeballs.
Sauerkraut with hotdogs, ketsup, and cornbread becomes SwAmP StEw!
Crab meat in a béchamel with pasta is lovingly referred to as Crab Louie.


And after years of eating Creamed Chicken Hearts on Mashed potatoes with gravy.. I learned that it was actually...
Ah ShMom! You know I wouldn't have eaten that if I knew it was actually chicken hearts, yeah?


Sometimes it was a name that existed for another dish, but if you were to order it in a restaurant, you'd be quite surprised.


I learned this the hard way when making dinner for a date.
I made pigs in the blanket.
Did YOU know that pigs in the blanket are just hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls?
I didn't.
He did.
He got Hungarian Cabbage Rolls.


Did YOU know that Stroganoff is sliced steak in a creamy beef gravy?
ShMom taught me to make ground beef with cream of mushroom on egg noodles.


It was only after finding out this last bit of information that the reason for this particular post came about. You're so close to my point! Hang in there!!


After having tasted ACTUAL stroganoff, I decided I'd make it for Abrabacon.
A deceptively simple dish to make.. delicious.. and if prepared properly, totally paleo! (obviously, no noodles) I rocked it, of course.. but then again, he is The Easy to Feed Caveman ;)



Which got me thinking.. if I switch out the sour cream in this recipe for cream cheese... a whole world opens up!


The next day, I decided to abuse my friends' taste buds. They're so accommodating in this way! We often use one another for culinary experimentation. By the way.. I love my friends. A. Lot.


And thisssss, my lovelies, brings us to today's recipe.


Curry.. chickeny.. delicious.. thing I made up! *this name is pending copyright* ;)


You will need:




4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (ya know? Dark meat would be good here too.. do your thing)
5 Red bell peppers
1 large sweet yellow onion
2 small spicy peppers (I had habeneros from the garden)
1 package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick of butter
curry powder
crushed red pepper
garlic
salt/pepper
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock


For Optional Rice (cuz I know you aren't ALL paleo)


3 cups basmati rice
2 tablespoons of lavender
1 tablespoon of cloves




Chop chicken and cook over medium high heat in desired amount of butter. (you may choose to add curry to your chicken before cooking.. I do, but it's not necessary as it will be a main flavor in your sauce)
Remove chicken and add sliced onion to butter until caramelized. Remove from heat.




Raise your oven rack to it's highest setting and broil red peppers until all are blackened on all sides. (place foil or a cookie sheer on rack underneath, as peppers will leak)
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Once cooled, remove skins and seeds from your peppers and toss them in a food processor.




Add spicy pepper (optional) Slowly add cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add curry powder, garlic, black pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper to taste.
Return skillet to heat. Deglaze pan with stock and reduce. Once reduced, add your red pepper sauce, chicken, and onions back to the pan.


You may serve this alone, with toasted Naan or Pita, or with Rice of your choosing..
For my friends, I smashed fresh lavender and clove in a mortar and pestle and put them in a tea ball. I place them in enough water to boil the rice and steeped it until the water was ready. Remove the tea ball and add rice.
Try not to cry with how delicious this is....
*sigh* 
End Transmission 

No comments:

Post a Comment