Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The adventures of Paleo Puppy and Juno the Cave Kitty!!!

Today is the day I introduce you to the smaller loves of my life.. This is Sasha. I often find that when people first meet her, they assume she is a dog.. a misconception The Caveman and I never bother correcting. They'll figure it out soon enough.
If you ask her, she's a people. 
Although she wasn't always treated like one.
She was rescued from a puppy mill. Taken to the humane society in hopes of finding her a safe home.
Where she waited. 
And waited.
Until one day, my heroic little brother (who was volunteering there at the time) couldn't let her be sent to her death. A sweet girl who never had a chance.. rescued by a guy whose heart was bigger than the house he was renting. My brother was determined to give this sweet baby a chance. I'm so proud of him.. and so grateful! 
The Caveman and I live in a house with an enormous back yard.. he even built the sweet girl her own room downstairs, installing a doggy door so she could come and go as she pleases when we're at work! 


Having spent most of my life terrified of dogs, I can attest that you will know when you've found true love.. even in the most unexpected place! I can't imagine not being Sweet Sasha's mommy <3


Then.. there's my little Junebug <3
Back in Spring of 2009, I was living alone for the first time. It took a lot of getting use to.. and honestly, the reason I wanted a pet was likely just so I would have someone to tsk at when I couldn't find the sponge or when someone didn't take out the trash. 
I took the children I was currently contracted to (as a special needs nanny) to The Humane Society.
We spent.. Hours. HOURS looking at pets. Sitting in the get to know you room as they brought in animal after animal. The kids trepidatiously played with a twitchy cat. They scootched against the wall when Oscar was brought in.. a skittish persian with bald spots.
Finally.. we decided to throw in the towel. There were no kitties for us here today.
On our way out the door, an exhausted Smalls (the girl I cared for) points at a sad black kitty. Bald in some spots. Broken tooth. Stitches.
The attendant smiled sweetly at Smalls and informed her that this was not a playing kitty. This kitty had been a street cat, recently attacked by a dog who was also in their custody now. 
The woman pulled me aside and quietly informed me that this cat would be put down by the end of the day. They were in the process of pulling her out of the display already.
I panicked.... 
Well.
Let's sum this one up...
This is Juno.. The badassest cat you'll ever meet. 
Survived being half eaten by a dog 6xs her size. 
Survived starvation (she was only 3 1/2 pounds when I got her.. at 2 years old)
Survived a couple more years of her Mommy bringing children over to play with her...


She's currently surviving curling up in my lap in a little patch of sunshine.. Bad. Ass. 


So. Here's the thing... Juno and Sasha aren't the only incredible babies who needed rescue. The Humane Society struggles constantly to feed and care for these animals long enough to get them homes. It's getting colder and they're already over capacity. HELP! Please.. even if it's dropping a $5 donation on their website.. just help.


http://www.nehumanesociety.org/site/PageServer


Feel free to share your stories of animal adoption here.. I love stories of finding love ;) 
But please.. please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment