Sunday, November 11, 2012

PaleOmaha.. A safe place to lay your fork. Part Uno.

PaleOmaha.
Pronunciation: Pale Eee Oh Maha.
Definition: Places in Omaha where you can find absolutely delicious fare without making yourself sick eating some glutenous mass because you didn't want to be a bother =)

That's right. I love eating in a restaurant. It makes any day feel a little special.. let someone else prepare something beautiful and bring it to me. Go home and not have to wash dishes.... All a recipe for a great night!
But The Caveman is incredibly strict about his Paleo ways.. which is understandable.
When he makes the decision that he wants something bad for him, he goes for it.. but for days after he's lethargic. Down. Bloated. He coughs incessantly and has to use his inhaler again. His stomach aches constantly and his skin gets patchy.
He doesn't decide that he wants gluten very often at all.

This makes restaurant dining a BIT tricky. Not terrible.. but a challenge. So for the last year, I've been cataloguing places we can go to find something that will still be enjoyable to eat, excellent service, fun atmosphere, and Paleo Approved =)

Ready? Let's go!



                                           Manila Grill
                                            108th & O st
                                          
(402) 339-2606
 
 
 


My dinner... Lots of veggies and beef in a delicious tomato based sauce.
I LOVED it.. very satisfying.
 



Caveman's dinner..
Beef in a Mirin and Bay sauce.
He liked his a lot, but mine was CLEARLY the better order ;)

 
                                          
The atmosphere was comfortable, not fancy. It was lovely, considering we were unfamiliar with Filipino food and wanted a low pressure dining experience. I assume it was the owner's family who came in and seated themselves at a nearby table.. 12 or so people, loud and boisterous.. asking how long we had been dating, if we wanted to try some of this or that, making recommendations on the menu. One of the children came and sat at our table with us because he found Abrabacon so amusing.. (Imagine that! A 5 year old finds Abe amusing.. will wonders never cease!)
We felt included and welcomed. Even aside from the food being incredibly satisfying, the place is a treasure. Highly recommend!





 




                                                                            Kona Grill
                                   
                                           295 North 170th Street 
                                                (402) 779-2900




 


 

What? Sushi??? Raw fish and rice?????
Here's the thing. You have to ask VERY nicely and they may or may not charge you a dollar extra per roll, but you can have your rolls wrapped in Nori (Seaweed) and then a layer of cucumber or avocado rolled over the outside. Adds the healthy fats your body loves and makes you feel more satisfied after fewer rolls =)
Delicious. I love this place, but it is a little 'Chainy' for my personal pleasure... I'm quite certain you can con any kind sushi chef into making this alteration. Give it a try! You will not be sorry..

In addition, Kona has many delicious entrees that can easily be made suitable.. You can simply ask for additional veggies instead of rice or noodles on each dish, mashed potatoes, or a salad to substitute the offending side =)

                                                    Outback Steakhouse
 



Ok
I LOVE seared Ahi. LOVE IT.
This appetizer plus a side of seasonal veggies with butter comprise one of my favorite dinners.
First.. always ask if it's butter or margarine.
Cuz. Seriously.
Then, take your time as you let the spice blend come together on your tongue.
Happiness <3

A steakhouse tends to be a pretty easy bet// a steak slathered in butter with veggies/
Sweet potato with cinnamon and butter.
Abe likes to get a salad topped with cottage cheese instead of dressing... dressings are usually made of ridiculous amounts of soybean oil...
So there you have it, my darling dolls. Part one of my Paleomaha series. Check back for more delicious dining destinations soon!

<3




7 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! A dedicated paleo cafe and grocery store just opened near me. I was so excited when I heard. Being able to walk in to a place and order anything I want off the menu as is, is pretty damn amazing.


    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=439143629455399&set=pb.407442679292161.-2207520000.1352933422&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh.... I'm so jealous!
      The caveman and I always talk about how a Paleo restaurant would do here. We've kind of figured that the Middle of America likes it's whole grain a bit too much.
      A Brazilian place would do well tho.. basically paleo but they advertise gorgeous bodies instead of healthy hearts ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh we have a Brazilian barbeque all you can eat place as well. To die for! I'm really surprised that a paleo cafe opened here as we are quite small. You never know, you might get lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just come live with you???
    I'll cook for you all the time!
    And I'll even bring a really adorable baby boy.. and maybe a giant caveman ;)
    The Brazilian place that opened up here (we're a relatively large city) is really just a crummy by-the-pound buffet with mostly Non-Brazilian fare.. macaroni and cheese? Stroganoff in a tomato instead of mushroom. Poorly seasoned steak and an owner who doesn't even care that your food was horribly prepared... Meh. Hate that place =/
    And NOOOO Paleo places.. several vegan and vegetarian, which is lovely.. but not particularly helpful to my cause ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can your caveman renovate while you cook? Because I need all the help I can get!! And a baby! I'm getting to the point where I'd like to have another baby, sigh. I just need other people to have them so I can get my baby-fix.

    I live in an amazing place as far as food is concerned. Literally 5 minutes from my house is the most amazing grocery store. It's not even a gourmet one, just a regular one and they stock all sorts of amazing foods that classify as paleo. Also, here in Australia we don't have grain subsidies so all our meat is grass fed. So lucky. I had no idea how fortunate I was until I started connecting with other paleo peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =/ It's true. Being pregnant and SO hungry, I walk into the grocery store almost EVERY day and Abe asks what I would want for dinner if I could spend as much as I wanted... and all I can think is, all of these calories... and no food. The grocery store seems so empty when you have any standards for what you can put in your body... so we always leave with eggs, salsa, and organic veggies. All of our meat has to come from a CSA or it will be grain fed =(

    ReplyDelete