Friday, May 11, 2012

My tiny project that has kept me away... And a cavegirl goes colonial. (Butter)

Hey guys!! It's been a while =)
Many of you already know why.. but I'll get to that.
For starters, I delivered all of the donations to the Open Door Mission a while back and just wanted to update you on that... after about 2 dozen trips around Omaha picking up your clothes, food, and toys you were ready to part with (And a couple of group pick ups at the gym I teach at) and 3 trips in my little tiny Mazda to get them delivered, 1200 pounds were donated to the people who need it the most.
I was so overwhelmed by the generosity of my friends and loved ones.. and perfect strangers!!!
So with that, the LockeYoga food and clothing drive is closed and has left me incredibly satisfied with the beautiful people in my life. Thank you <3

This project filled me with joy and energy and determination.. so I decided to use that momentum to start a weekend project: Free Will Donation Yoga in the Park!
Simple idea.. coffee can at one end of my yoga mat. Throw in some pocket change or a couple of dollars and flow with your friends. Many people can't afford studio prices and still others just find the whole scene too pretentious.. this gives them the opportunity to pay only what they want to!
Plus, the atmosphere is amazing.. Zorinsky Lake is so beautiful! And the park nearby gives any children attending a place to play while their parents practice their asana!

I maintain this was an amazing idea.. but the weather didn't cooperate right away..
That's ok. Spring is fickle.. it'll work out!!!

Then.. I started feeling tired. 
So incredibly tired... that the back of my mind started telling me something was wrong.
Sometimes, everything would be just fine.. til suddenly I'd just become ill.

I didn't want to tell The Caveman how worried I was, so I just tried to sleep a lot.. 
I finally decided I would visit a doctor.

Not knowing how worried I was, Abrabacon handed me a pregnancy test.
Just to humor him.... just to make him stop teasing me.... Knowing it would be negative, I sulked into the bathroom.



Sooooooo.
Guess what guys????

=)



That's our tiny little cavebaby, BamBam <3 <3 <3 I love him/her so much!!!

So the theme of this blog might be changing ever so slightly... to that of a Paleo Pregnancy =)
As I sit here with my morning sickness bucket on my left, my Paleo Banana Bread on my right, and my Caveman fawning over my as-yet-not evident baby belly, I am so excited to take you all with me on this journey!

So I'll see you all Saturday morning at 10 or Sunday night at 6 for yoga in the park.. and until then, just a small recipe (since food sounds like an awful idea just now!)



Alright, so butter...
If you've been Paleo for a while, you know how important grass-fed butter is... and you probably know how hard it is to locate at your local grocery store.

However!!!
You can probably find grass-fed cream!
Turns out, butter is ridiculously easy to make. 
Ready?

Ingredients: Grass fed Cream.



Yup. That's it.
But here's where you can learn from my mistakes ;)









I poured my cream into this glass bottle and shook it like a polaroid picture... but didn't really think ahead to how I would get the butter out...

So my NEW recommendation is that you put your cream into a food processor or blender and just overwhip it.

When it's coagulated and begun to form chunks, you're there! Now spill this all out into a sieve or colander and rinse with very cold water (the liquid dripping out is buttermilk, so you can save this if you want to use it in other recipes later!) and press out with a rubber spatula.


And that's it! You've got butter =)

If it tickles your fancy, you can salt your cream before you begin whipping or shaking or stirring the living daylights out of it.. or you can add roasted garlic or pepper... whatever you want to season your butter with =)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm a mum of 3 cave-kiddos myself (8,7 and 2) but haven't been paleo long enough to have a paleo pregnancy. I think it is so cool that this baby will be paleo from the start. Really looking forward to reading about your journey. Exciting! I hope the morning sickness (or allday sickness as the case may be) passes or at least doesn't get worse. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also meant to say I wish someone near me did yoga in the park like you are, that has to be one of the best ideas EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, P! You sure have your hands full!!
    I think it's so important that people know WHY we choose to raise our babies eating this way.. it's not vanity or a fad, it's what we've studied and truly believe to be the healthiest path. Our children will never have to suffer the plethora of autoimmune diseases that are plaguing those around us. They will never live in fear of counting calories due to the 'obesity epidemic' that nobody can seem to run from without starving themselves.. and their brains will function at a more powerful level having never been starved of the fats they need!
    And thank you! It would be great if you lived closer! I'm on my way out the door to the park just now for a flow session =) =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you and proud to know you. You're a goddess amongst women. So beautiful and strong. Happy First Mother's Day. I hope it's a great one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, she's so beautiful and amazing. I'm so thankful that I get to wake up next to her every morning. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost her and had to live without her. She's going to make such a great mother and I couldn't have picked a better partner to raise children with.

      Delete